Friday, March 16, 2012

A dinner with Chief Justice Corona



A lot of costly controversies, political issue and the telenovela of this year is the Chief Justice Renato Corona on the impeachement trial. Turn of events to this gigantic King magistrate and a feast to all bloodsucking commentaries and opinions pretending to be expert in the constitution.

When President Benigno Simeon Aquino promised to start the change by cleaning up the decades of corruption, he did it with the wave of his wand and one by one. Even his foes made viral the alleged truth about his family owned Hacienda Luisita, the impeachment trial together with Senator Mirriam Santiago high blood moment became the mosts talk of the town.

A lot of people follows the impeachment proceedings on their television or for those who can afford to go to senate and get a one day ticket never missed the event from Monday to Thursday, though I have lot’s of things to do than to follow this comedic political story in the history of this country, I am still aware because of Twitter and facebook.

When Blogwatch invited me to be with them to interview the Chief justice, I never hesitated, even though it will only means waking up early and to finish my work in advance. I will never say no to the opportunity like this, to meet the man in flesh and a chance to know the real story from the magistrate himself, lying or telling the truth, well it’s for me to decice and for him to be careful and good.

It’s 6 in the afternoon and I am the first one to arrive at the lobby of the Supreme Court. Wow! It’s my first time to be in this American style building. While waiting for everyone, there’s a television in the lobby showing what’s happening at the senate that time, the impeachment trial.

One by one from Noel De Guia (@tweetnirizal), Gelo Lopez to Noemi Lardizabal Dado (@momblogger) came and were all ready to meet the Chief Justice.

His office is just the same as any office I’ve been, the only difference are the newspapers with his name on the wall, his plaques from so many recognition events, diplomas and the man himself waiting for us. You will not miss him because of his smiley eyes and omg! He is really big, his built, literally, a giant for me.

He entertained some questions then asked everyone for a dinner with him. Ok, that’s one awesome gestures to think that the invite was past the dinner time but oh well, it was nice of him.Then the moment I am waiting for, the question and answer portion.




I only have two prepared questions and these were all about me too and my advocacy. Actually I even asked my usband if these questions are appropriate.

1. How does the impeachment trial change your life?
2. They said that the prayer rally of the Iglesya Ni Cristo is in support of you, we all know that INC is supporting the passage of RH Bill, so what is your stand to that?


His answer:

1. It changed my life spritually, before we prayed individually but now we even use Facetime to pray the rosary all together because my other child lives at San Francisco, so to be all together we use the internet to do that. My family gives me more strength to fight, they even the one who are pushing me not to resign because they believe that If I did, it will be like accepting what the prosecution are telling against me. I believe with the justice system.
2. Both have merits the anti and pro and my training as a judge prevents me to show my decision right away, I am here long enough to know. Sino sino rito ang mga sumosuporta? ( well of course, a lot raised their hands because a lot are advocates of the RH.), I never though about it (RH).


Learning that his wife was really from a rich clan is a surprise too especially when he showed to us a letter from our national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal that Jose Maria Basa might had financed El Filibusterismo. Jose Maria Basa is an ancestor of Cristina Basa Corona.




Some notable quotes from that Dinner interview:

1. My wife is the gentlest person.
2. My children are so finness.
3. Nasaktan kami, hindi madali ang pinagdadaanan namin, we have feelings too.
4. 24/7 they (referring to president pnoy and the prosecution) exist for only reason to destroy me.
5. My great grandfather was a successful pawnshop owner in Binondo.
6. Walang makakapagsabi na uminit ang ulo ko at nagmumura. (referring to asal kalye news)
7. I used to compete, I used to win. (on owning a gun)
8. I am hopeful by April theres a decision.
9. Senate President come and go.
10. Ayokong kausapin sya. (referring to pnoy when asked if pnoy will ask him for a meeting.)

Anyway, diko na nakuha yung iba nyang sinabi cos I am busy understanding kung nagsasabi sya ng totoo o hindi, and of course, only him would know that. I am not even a lawyer or an expert but on this trial, whatever happen, may benipisyo bang makukuha ang mayorya? Magkakaroon na ba ng tunay na pagbabago?.

No comments:

Post a Comment